I won’t make you read 1,000 words – let’s just cut to the chase:
Perth Marathon = 3:44:53
Given my training and goals, this was a very pleasant surprise. Actually, it’s closer to ‘shock’ than ‘surprise’, really. I know that with solid training (including speed work), I have a sub-3:30 in me, no question. But I didn’t expect to run so well today. And I did it feeling shockingly awesome, up until Mile 24 or so.
I’m going to take you through every drizzly, spunky, happy-view moment in gory detail in a day or two, but for now, here’s a quick-and-dirty summary:
3 Awesome Things About the Perth Marathon
1. The weather.
2. The small field (highest bib # we saw was 1427).
3. The view at the top of the hill in King’s Park.
3 Awesome Things About My Race
1. How much I had to hold back to stay around 8:45 min/mi through the first 10 miles.
2. Point #1 paying off as I cruised up the hills in the second half.
3. Checking my pace coming into Mile 20 and seeing “8:10”. Repeatedly.
3 Spots That Hurt Right Now
(Or will when I stand up)
1. My hips (expected).
2. My lower shins (weird).
3. My pointer toe blister (if that’s #3, I figured I’m doing pretty well).
And now? Dinner, and bed. In that order, with very little in between. Well…I might brush my teeth. 😉
My brain cells were busy being fast today, so I have no question for you.
So…erm…Tell me something – anything – about your weekend!